In News: China announces military exercise opposite Taiwan
- China’s military exercise comes ahead of U.S. Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s plans to visit to the island country.
- The ruling Communist Party’s military wing, the People’s Liberation Army, was conducting “live-fire exercises” near the Pingtan islands off Fujian province, China.
- China says Taiwan has no right to conduct foreign relations. I
- t sees visits by American officials as encouragement for the island to make its decades-old de facto independence official.
- Taiwan and China split in 1949 after a civil war that ended with a communist victory on the mainland.
- The two governments say they are one country but disagree over which is entitled to national leadership.
- They have no official relations but are linked by billions of dollars in trade and investment.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Which one of the following statements best reflects the issue with Senkaku Islands, sometimes mentioned in the news? (2022)
- It is generally believed that they are artificial islands made by a country around South China Sea.
- China and Japan engage in maritime disputes over these islands in East China Sea.
- A permanent American military base has been set up there to help Taiwan to increase its defence capabilities.
- Though International Court of Justice declared them as no man’s land, some South-East Asian countries claim them.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…