In News: Army accelerates procurement of light tank ‘Zorawar’ for LAC.
- Realising the protracted threat along the northern borders with China and the induction of the enemy’s technologically “state-of-art” tanks, the Indian Army is pushing for “Project Zorawar”.
- Zorawar will be the name of the Light Tanks which have been envisaged to be manufactured indigenously.
- Zorawar will be designed to operate from High Altitude Area, the marginal terrain to the Island territories and will be highly transportable for rapid deployment to meet any operational situation.
- Zorawar will have niche technologies to include Artificial Intelligence, Drone integration, Active Protection System, High Degree of Situational Awareness.
- Zorawar Singh Kahluria was the famed military general of Dogra King Gulab Singh and was adept at mountain warfare. New tanks will be named after him.
- Missile-firing capability, counter-drone apparatus, warning system and a power-to-weight ratio will make the tanks “very agile”.
- The light tanks will help the Army overcome the limitations of medium battle tanks and equip the force for all contingencies in high altitude area, marginal terrain and island territories besides its utilisation in the plains, semi-deserts and deserts.
Army inducts indigenous swarm drone systems
- Indian Army has inducted indigenously produced Swarm Drones Systems aiming to employ them in both offensive and defensive operations.
- The force believes that it will be providing a decisive edge to the tactical commanders employing them.
- A swarm drone system consists of a number of small drones which are AI enabled and capable of communicating with the control station as well as among themselves and provide asymmetric capabilities for taking out frontline assets of the adversary.
- The application of swarm drones in recent conflicts worldwide especially Armenia, Azerbaijan, Syria and strike on oilfields in Saudi Arabia and ongoing war in Ukraine have highlighted their potency in modern warfare.
Source: The Hindu