Context: The Supreme Court sought reports from Maharashtra administration on the demolition drive conducted around the tomb of Afzal Khan, a 17th-century commander of the Adil Shahi dynasty of Bijapur.
About Afzal Khan:
- Afzal Khan was a general who served the Adil Shahi dynasty of Bijapur Sultanate.
- He played an important role in the southern expansion of the Bijapur Sultanate by subjugating the Nayaka chiefs who had taken control of the former Vijayanagara territory.
- In 1659, the Bijapur government sent Afzal Khan to subjugate Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, a former vassal who had started acting independently.
- He was killed at a truce negotiation meeting with Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, and his army was defeated at the Battle of Pratapgad.’
History of Afzal Khan’s tomb:
- With Shivaji’s rise and increasing control of the region, Afzal Khan was seen as the man to subdue him in the Deccan.
- Khan put together a force of 10,000 cavalry and marched from Bijapur to Wai, plundering Shivaji’s territory along the way.
- Shivaji called a council of war at the fort of Pratapgarh, where most of his advisers urged him to make peace.
- Shivaji was not eager to back down and he set up a meeting with Khan.
- Afzal Khan was killed on November 10, 1659 when during a meeting, an embrace between the two turned into an attack in which Shivaji emerged victorious.
- Khan’s remains were buried at the fort and a tomb was constructed on Shivajij’s orders.
- The tower is still known by the name ‘Afzul Buruj’ at Pratapgarh.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to Indian history, consider the following statements:
- The first Mongol invasion of India happened during the reign of Jalal-ud-din Khalji.
- During the reign of Ala-ud-din Khalji, one Mongol assault marched up to Delhi and besieged the city.
- Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq temporarily lost portions of north-west of his kingdom to Mongols.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (2022)
- 1 and 2
- 2 only
- 1 and 3
- 3 only
Q.2) With reference to the cultural history of India, consider the following statements :
- White marble was used in making Buland Darwaza and Khankah at Fatehpur Sikri.
- Red sandstone and marble were used in making Bara Imambara and Rumi Darwaza at Lucknow.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (2018)
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2