Context: Recently the Lok Sabha passed the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Fourth Amendment) Bill, 2022 to include Betta-Kuruba on the Scheduled Tribes list of Karnataka as a synonym for the already categorised Kadu-Kuruba tribe in the State.
About Betta kurubas:
- The Betta Kuruba (Betta meaing ‘Hill’, Kuruba meaning ‘shepherd’) tribe lives in the hilly regions of Karnataka, and is one of the few indigenous communities of the Nilgiris.
- Traditionally, the Kuruba people drew sustenance from hunting, gathering and collecting wild honey.
- Due to relocation, the Betta Kuruba people are being forced to give up their traditional livelihood, and work as agricultural labourers in coffee, spice (such as pepper, ginger, cardamom) and tea plantations.
- They speak Betta Kurumba language (Beṭṭa Kurumba) is a Dravidian language closely related to Tamil.
- They are generally believed to be the descendants of the Pallavas.
- Consanguineous marriages like cross-cousin marriages are preferred among the Kurumbas.
Source: Indian Express