In News: Bharat Ratna Dr BR Ambedkar’s 67th Mahaparinirvan Diwas or death anniversary was celebrated.
About BR Ambedkar:
- Dr Ambedkar was a jurist, economist, politician and a social reformer who campaigned against social discrimination of downtrodden, women and labourers.
- He was born in 1891 in Mhow Army Cantonment, Madhya Pradesh
- Known as The Father of the Indian Constitution
- He was conferred the Bharat Ratna posthumously in 1990.
- He completed his matriculation in from Elphinstone High School.
- He completed his Post Graduation in Economics.
- He completed another doctorate from the London School of Economics – thesis “The problem of the rupee: Its origin and its solution”.
- He completed his Ph.D. degree in Economics from the University of Columbia.
- In 1919, in his testimony before the Southborough Committee in preparation of the Government of India Act Ambedkar opined that there should be a separate electoral system for the Untouchables and other marginalized communities.
- In 1920, Ambedkar launched a newspaper called “Mooknayaka” (leader of the silent) with the assistance of Shahaji II, the Maharaja of Kolhapur
- In 1923, he set up the Bahishkrit Hitkarini Sabha (Outcastes Welfare Association)
- Ambedkar launched full-fledged movements for Dalit rights by 1927 and demanded public drinking water sources open to all and right for all castes to enter temples.
- In 1932, Ambedkar signed the Poona Pact.
- He participated in all three round table conferences in London and demanded separate electorate for untouchables.
- In 1936, Founded the Independent Labor Party and his party contested the 1937 elections to the Central Legislative Assembly.
- In 1942, founded Scheduled Castes Federation.
- In 1947 Dr. Ambedkar was appointed as the chairman of the constitution drafting committee.
- In 1950, founded the Bharatiya Bauddha Mahasabha.
- In 1956 Ambedkar organized a public ceremony to convert around five lakh of his supporters to Buddhism.
- By December 2nd, 1956 he completed his final manuscript, “The Buddha or Karl Marx”
- On 6 December 1956, he died at his home in Delhi.
Books and periodicals:
- Bahishkrit Bharat(1927)
- Mook Nayak (weekly)
- Annihilation of caste
- Philosophy of Hinduism
- Riddles in Hinduism
- What Congress and Gandhi have done to the Untouchables
- Who were the Shudras?
- The problem of rupee: its origin or solution (thesis)
- States and Minorities: What are Their Rights and how to Secure Them in the Constitution of Free India
- The Buddha and His Dhamma
- Buddha Or Karl Marx
- Ancient Indian Commerce: Commercial Relations of India in the Middle East (thesis)
- The Partition of India
- Federation Versus Freedom
- Thoughts on Pakistan
- Ranade, Gandhi and Jinnah
- Castes in India: Their Mechanism, Genesis and Development
MUST READ Neo-buddhism
Previous Year Question
Q1) Which of the following parties were established by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar? (2012)S
- The Peasants and Workers Party of India
- All India Scheduled Castes Federation
- The Independent Labour Party
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3