With the help of suitable examples, describe the significance of digital technologies to improve the efficacy of public services.
उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की सहायता से, सार्वजनिक सेवाओं की प्रभावोत्पादकता में सुधार करने के लिए डिजिटल तकनीकों के महत्व का वर्णन करें।
Candidates can start the answer by basic definition digital governance with use of technologies. Also try to substantiate with relevant examples.
Use of digital technology to perform government activities and achieve the objectives of public services is done at huge level in India. Through e-governance, government services are made available to citizens and businesses in a convenient, efficient and transparent manner.
Digital technology in governance and public service:
- Digital technologies have made it easier to collect and collate data and convert it into meaningful information using various algorithms. For example: Different surveys like census, NFHS etc. for deciding policy intervention.
- Digital technology can enable data sharing and monitoring in real time, helping in identifying bottlenecks and undertaking necessary reforms. For example: online dashboards for tracking status of project implementation.
Different digital governance programmes improving efficacy of public service:
- UIDAI collects minimal biometric data in the form of iris and fingerprints. This has helped to exclude bogus beneficiaries of government schemes and eligible beneficiaries are targeted well hence quality of Service delivery system has improved immensely.
- Digital Saksharta Abhiyan or National Digital Literacy Mission (NDLM) Scheme has been formulated to impart IT training to 52.5 lakh persons, including Anganwadi, ASHA workers and authorised ration dealers in all the States/UTs across the country.
- The initiative aims at training non-IT literate citizens to become IT literate to enable their active and effective participation in the democratic, developmental process, and enhance their livelihood too.
- The NAM Portal provides a single window service for all APMC related information and services. This includes commodity arrivals and prices, buy and sell trade offers and provision to respond to trade offers, among other services.
- e-Granthalaya is an Integrated Library Management Software developed by National Informatics Centre, (NIC), Department of Electronics & Information Technology. The application is useful for automation of in-house activities of libraries and to provide various online member services.
- eBiz is being implemented by Infosys Technologies Limited (Infosys) under the guidance and aegis of Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India. The focus of eBiz is to improve the business environment in the country by enabling fast and efficient access to Government-to-Business (G2B) services through an online portal.
- DigiYatra has started facial recognition for airport entry on trial basis in the Hyderabad airport. DigiYatra intends to offer air passengers a “seamless, hassle-free and paperless journey experience.
With the penetration of technology in the hands of a layman, e-governance aims to empower citizens with service delivery without time delay and in effective manner. India is emerging as the country with highest monthly internet usage. The more steps need to be taken to increase the penetration of services in effective and efficient manner.