Context: Recently, West Bengal Chief Minister urged Central government to declare Gangasagar Mela as a ‘national mela’ (national festival).
About Gangasagar Mela:
- Gangasagar is largest and oldest living tradition or festival in West Bengal.
- It is celebrated during Makar Sankranti for a week since as early as 400 BCE on the island of Gangasagar in West Bengal’s 24 South Parganas District.
- Gangasagar or Sagar Island is in the Ganges delta, lying on the continental shelf of Bay of Bengal about 100 kms south of Kolkata.
- It is mentioned in both Ramayana and Mahabharata.
- Pilgrimage started when First Kapil Muni’s temple was constructed by Queen Satyabhama in 430 AD.
- Devotees take a sacred dip at the confluence of the Ganga and the Bay of Bengal known as Gangasagar which is an island.
- It is India’s second largest pilgrimage gathering after the Kumbh Mela.
Source: Hindustan Times
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
- Chapchar Kut festival Mizoram
- Khongjom Parba ballad Manipur
- Thang-Ta dance Sikkim
Which of the pairs given above is/are correct? (2018)
- 1 only
- 1 and 2
- 3 only
- 2 and 3
Q.2) Consider the following pairs:
- Chaliha Sahib Festival Sindhis
- Nanda Raj Jaat Yatra Gonds
- Wari-Warkari Santhals
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched? (2017)
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- None of the above