Context: The Indian Navy is set to commission the fifth of its diesel-electric Scorpene-class submarine Vagir.
About Submarine Vagir:
- Vagir is among the six submarines being built in India by the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) Mumbai, in collaboration with the French M/s Naval Group under Project 75.
- INS Vagir is the fifth submarine of the first batch of six Kalvari-class submarines for the Indian Navy.
- It is a diesel-electric attack submarine based on the Scorpène class.
- It is named after the Sand Fish of the Indian Ocean.
- It is designed to operate in all theatres of operation.
- It can launch attacks with both torpedoes and tube launched anti-ship missiles, whilst underwater or on surface.
- The Kalvari class is capable of offensive operations across the entire spectrum of naval warfare including:
- anti-surface warfare,
- anti-submarine warfare,
- intelligence gathering,
- mine laying and
- area surveillance
MUST READ: Project 75I
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to `Astrosat’, the astronomical observatory launched by India, which of the following statements is/are correct? (2016)
- Other than the USA and Russia, India is the only country to have launched a similar observatory into space.
- Astrosat is a 2000 kg satellite placed in an orbit at 1650 km above the surface of the Earth.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2