Environment & Ecology
Context: Recently, the Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme (EIACP) organised a ‘National workshop on LiFE’ in association with National Museum of Natural History, a subordinate office of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
About Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme (EIACP):
- Environmental Information System (ENVIS) was renamed as EIACP (Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme).
- ENVIS came into existence as a plan programme in 1983.
- It serves as a single-stop web-enabled repository of comprehensive environmental information with collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of the same through a nationwide network of ENVIS Hubs and ENVIS Resource Partners (RPs).
About National Museum of Natural History:
- The National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), New Delhi was established in 1972.
- The museum functions under the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Government of India.
- It is an institution devoted to environmental education, derives its strength principally from theme-based exhibition galleries, experiential resource centers and Out-Reach Activities, with the intention to depict the country’s rich natural heritage and natural history (Geology, Botany and Zoology).
- Objectives of NMNH:
- To develop the NMNH in the country’s capital to achieve the highest level of quality to promote environmental education on a national level
- To develop Regional Offices (Regional Museum of Natural History) in various regions of the country in order to extend its activities at the regional/local levels
- To develop museum-based educational projects at the level so as to help school curriculum on environmental education
- To develop environmental education resource materials (such as audio-visual aids, low-cost teaching aids, school loan kits, etc.) to promote environmental education
- To undertake research (musicological and collection based) consonant with the scope and resources of the museum
- To extend professional help to other agencies/organizations regarding natural history collections/museums
- To develop national and international cooperation/collaboration with other organizations/professional bodies/museums related to natural history/environmental education.
Previous Year Questions
Q,1) Consider the following statements:
- The Climate Group is an international non-profit organisation that drives climate action by building large networks and runs them.
- The International Energy Agency in partnership with the Climate Group launched a global initiative “EP100”.
- EP100 brings together leading companies committed to driving innovation in energy efficiency and increasing competitiveness while delivering on emission reduction goals.
- Some Indian companies are members of EP100.
- The International Energy Agency is the Secretariat to the “Under2 Coalition”.
Which of the statements given above are correct? (2022)
- 1,2, 4 and 5
- 1,3 and 4 only
- 2,3 and 5 only
- 1,2, 3, 4 and 5
Q.2) Statement 1:
The United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) and the Arbor Day Foundation have recently recognized Hyderabad as 2020 Tree City of the World
Hyderabad was selected for recognition for a year following its commitment to grow and maintain the Urban forests.
Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements? (2021)
- Both Statement 1 and Statement 2 are correct and Statement 2 is the correct explanation for Statement 1
- Both Statement 1 and Statement 2 are correct but Statement 2 is not the correct explanation for Statement 1.
- Statement 1 is correct but Statement 2 is not correct.
- Statement 1 is not correct but Statement 2 is correct.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…