Environment & Ecology
Context: Recently , Orangutans smuggling was caught by authorities.
- Orangutans are great ape’s native to the rainforests of Indonesia and Malaysia.
- They are now found only in parts of Borneo and Sumatra.
- They have proportionally long arms and short legs and have reddish-brown hair covering their bodies.
- Bornean and Sumatran orangutans differ a little in appearance and behavior.
- The Bornean orangutan is estimated as Endangered as per IUCN status.
- The Sumatran are categorized as Critically Endangered as per IUCN status.
- The Tapanuli orangutan is the most endangered of all great apes.
Source: THE HINDU
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to India’s biodiversity, Ceylon Frogmouth, Coppersmith Barbet, Gray Chinned Minivet and White-throated Redstart are (2020)
Q.2) Consider the following statements: (2019)
- Asiatic lion is naturally found in India only
- Double-humped camel is naturally found in India only
- One-horned rhinoceros is naturally found in India only
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…