Environment & Ecology
Context: Rhododendrons carpet Darjeeling, Sikkim Himalayas.
- Rhododendron is a large genus of flowering plants that are found mainly in the Eastern Himalayas, Western Himalayas, and Nilgiris.
- They are native to many regions of the world, including Asia, Europe, North America, and Australia.
- The species is found in varied habitats from subtropical forests to alpine shrubs, rhododendrons range from dwarf shrubs to large trees.
- Some plants of Rhododendron are evergreen while others are deciduous in nature.
- The species has been designated as the State tree of Uttarakhand.
- Darjeeling and Sikkim Himalayas are home to one-third (34%) of all Rhododendron types and comprise only 0.3% of India’s geographical area.
- Rhododendrons are indicator species.
- They are facing a high threat due to anthropological pressures and climate change.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to “Gucchi” sometimes mentioned in the news, consider the following statements. (2022)
- It is a fungus.
- It grows in some Himalayan Forest areas.
- It is commercially cultivated in the Himalayan foothills of north-eastern India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 3 only
- 1 and 2
- 2 and 3
Q.2) Which of the following are nitrogen-fixing plants? (2022)
- Purslane (Kulfa)
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1, 3, and 4 only
- 1, 3, 5, and 6 only
- 2, 4, 5, and 6 only
- 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…