Science and Technology
Context: Recently Vinyl chloride – the chemical in several of the train cars that derailed and burned in East Palestine, Ohio– can wreak havoc on the human liver.
About Vinyl Chloride:
- It is a colourless gas that burns easily.
- It is produced industrially for its commercial uses.
- It can’t occur naturally.
- Used primarily to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- PVC is a hard plastic resin used to make a variety of plastic products, including pipes, wire and cable coatings, and packaging materials.
- It spread through inhaling contaminated air, tobacco smoke, drinking contaminated water, etc.
- Disease burden: rare forms of liver cancer, as well as primary liver cancer brain and lung cancers, lymphoma, and leukemia.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Bisphenol A (BPA), a cause of concern, is a structural/key component in the manufacture of which of the following kinds of plastics? (2021)
- Low-density polyethylene
- Polyethylene terephthalate
- Polyvinyl Chloride
Q.2) “Triclosan” considered harmful when exposed to high levels for a long time, is most likely present in which of the following? (2021)
- Food preservatives
- Fruit ripening substances
- reused plastic containers
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…