Indian Polity & Constitution
Context: Recently, the National Commission for Minorities rescued stranded Indians from Libya.
About the National Commission for minorities :
- It was established by the Union Government in 1992 under the National Commission for Minorities Act.
- Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Zoroastrians (Parsis), and Jains are six religious communities that have been designated as minority communities by the Union Government in India’s Gazette.
- Sikhs, Buddhists, Parsis, Christians, and Muslims were notified in 1993
- Jains were added later in 2014.
- According to the 2001 Census, these six communist countries account for 18.8% of the country’s population.
- NCM consists of a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson, and five members.
- All the members shall be from amongst the minority communities.
- A total of 7 persons to be nominated by the Central Government should be from amongst persons of eminence, ability, and integrity.
- Tenure: Each Member holds office for a period of three years from the date of assumption of office.
- The Chairperson or a member can resign from office by writing to the Central Government.
Removal of Office of Chairperson
- The Central Government shall remove a person from the office of Chairperson or the member if they:
- Become an undischarged insolvent.
- Are declared having an unsound mind by a competent court.
- He refused to act or become incapable of acting.
- Have been convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for an offense which in the opinion of the Central Government involves moral turpitude.
- Absent from three consecutive meetings without obtaining leave of absence.
- Abused the position of chairperson or member in the opinion of the Central Government.
- Detrimental to the interest of minorities or public interest.
- However, No person shall be removed under this clause until the person has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.
- Recommending Union and State Government regarding Implementation of Safeguards for the minorities.
- Address the complaints regarding the deprivation of rights of minorities and take up such matters with the rightful authorities.
- The commission shall perform any of the functions mentioned above and have all powers of civil court.
Source: THE HINDU
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which of the following are associated with ‘Planning’ in India? (2014)
- The Finance Commission
- The National Development Council
- The Union Ministry of Rural Development
- The Union Ministry of Urban Development
- The Parliament
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1, 2, and 5 only
- 1, 3, and 4 only
- 2 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Q.2) Which of the following bodies does not/do not find mention in the Constitution? (2013)
- National Development Council
- Planning Commission
- Zonal Councils
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…