Delhi govt has taken some measures with regard to vehicular pollution. One of them is “odd-even formula” – odd numbered vehicles will run on odd days (1, 3, 5…31) and even numbered vehicles will run on even days (2, 4, 6, 8…30)
This formula was implemented in China, Singapore, Belgium and other countries.
- Mere reducing the number of cars per day is not a solution to tackle vehicular pollution
- Vehicular pollution arises mainly due to lack of maintenance of vehicles
- Besides, the cheap availability of diesel caused increase in the number of diesel powered vehicles. These diesel vehicles emit particulate matter. Every day 1400 new diesel cars are being added in Delhi.
- Metro service is not available at every place
- Alternative transport should be readily available to people when such restrictive transport policies are made
What can be done?
- In cities like Chandigarh and Gangtok, there are certain car-free zones where cars are not allowed. Such measures can be adopted.
- Tax more on diesel cars or ban them.
- Pollution control laws are good. But enforcement is poor. Strict punishment should be given to environment polluters.
- When licenses are given for industries, pollution control norms should also be inserted into the clauses of license, breach of which may lead to cancellation of licenses.
- Burning of biomass is another major problem. Govt should bring suitable laws to prevent this.
- Sometimes, poor people burn tyres, wood and other biomass in the open for warmth. This causes particulate matter to be released into the air. This should be checked and alternative sources should be provided for the poor.
- Municipalities are resorting to incineration of waste for converting to energy. But in India, moist organic content is more in the municipal waste. It is not suitable for generating energy. Hence burning waste is really a waste.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :