Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI): Annual Report for 2018-19 released
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains III- Economy
- Some of the highlights of the released report are:
- Life insurance penetration for 2018 was 2.74%, slightly lower than the 2.76% of 2017. Insurance penetration is measured as the ratio of premium (in US$) to GDP (in US$).
- Life insurance penetration increased from 2.15% in 2001 to 4.60% in 2009, and has thereafter showed a generally decreasing trend.
- The insurance density of the life insurance sector in 2018 was $55 (same as previous year). Insurance density is measured as the ratio of premium (in US dollars) to the total population
Do You Know?
- The IRDAI is an autonomous, statutory body established under Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999
- It is tasked with regulating and promoting the insurance and re-insurance industries in India.
- Its headquarters is in Hyderabad, Telangana and is a 10-member body including the chairman, five full-time and four part-time members appointed by the government of India.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :