IN-SPACe to act as space industry regulator
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains – III – Science and Technology
- Union Cabinet had recently approved the creation of the Indian National Space Promotion and Authorization Centre (IN-SPACe)
- We have already read that IN-SPACe will provide a level playing field for private companies to use Indian space infrastructure.
- The new entity of the Department of Space will also have its own chairperson and Board, and regulate and promote building of routine satellites, rockets and commercial launch services through Indian industry and start-ups.
Do you know?
- Until now, ISRO dealt with regulation and promotion of building of routine satellites, rockets and commercial launch services.
- In future, IN-SPACe will deal with such activities. It will function autonomously and parallel to ISRO.
- IN-SPACe will have its own directorates for technical, legal, safety and security, monitoring and activities promotion.
- NSIL will also be strenghtened and empowered with a larger role to work with IN-SPACe and enable it to take on some of the activities of ISRO.
- This restructuring will allow ISRO to allocate more time and resources for R&D endeavours.