Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana to be extended
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – Welfare Schemes
- PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana will be extended by five months till the end of November.
- The scheme was announced as part of the first relief package during the COVID-19 pandemic for a three-month period.
Rationale behind the scheme –
- To ensure that the poorest of the poor were not left hungry.
- Under this scheme, for the next five months, 5 kg of free rice or wheat, and 1 kg of chana will be provided free.
- 80 crore individuals would be covered under this scheme.
- It is a Rs 1.7-lakh crore financial package announced by the government to minimise the impact of Covid-19 lockdown on economy and poor.
Do you know?
- The existing National Food Security Act provides 5kg of foodgrain per person monthly at a subsidised rate of Rs 2-3 per kg to the country’s poor.
- Under the PMGKY, the ration quota was enhanced by another 5 kg for free for the next three months in March. (and now extended till November)
Important value additions:
National Food Security Act
- Government of India enacted the National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- The Act covers upto 75% of the rural population and upto 50% of the urban population.
- The targeted population shall receive subsidized foodgrains under Targeted Public Distribution System, thus covering about two-thirds of the population.
- Ministry involved: Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.