Salary, Allowances And Pension Of Members Of Parliament (Amendment) Bill, 2020
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions; Parliament
- Lok Sabha unanimously passed the Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- The Bill will replace the Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament (Amendment) Ordinance which was promulgated in April, 2020.
- The Bill seeks to reduce the salaries of MPs and the sumptuary allowance of Ministers by 30%.
- It also seeks to reduce the constituency allowance and office expenses allowance of MPs.
- The Bill makes these changes effective for a period of one year, effective from 1st April, 2020.
Important value additions
- The Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament Act, 1954 provides for the salary, allowances and pension of Members of Parliament.
- Article 106: The members of either House of Parliament shall be entitled to receive such salaries and allowances as may from time to time be determined by Parliament by law.