B.1.1.7 Lineage: New variant of SARS-CoV-2
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- Recently, India suspended all flights from and to the UK until December 31, amid concerns about a new variant of SARS-CoV-2 that is spreading & growing rapidly there.
- Last week, the new SARS-CoV-2 variant was revealed to be the reason behind the rapid surge in Covid-19 cases in South and East England.
- It is being referred to as VUI (Variant Under Investigation) 202012/01, or the B.1.1.7 lineage.
- The variant is the result of multiple mutations in the spike protein of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, as well as mutations in other genomic regions of the RNA virus.
- Preliminary analysis suggests that it is more transmissible than previously circulating variants.
- However, it is not deadlier.