UDISE+ 2019-20 Report
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Education
- Recently, the Union Education Minister released the Report on United Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) 2019-20 for School Education in India.
What are the key findings of the Report (2019-20)?
|Total Student Strength Pre-primary to Higher secondary
- Total Student Strength in this category has crosses 26.45 crore
- This is higher by 42.3 lakh compared to 2018-19.
|Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER)
||GER at all levels of school education has improved in 2019 20 compared to 2018-19
- Upper Primary level- 89.7% (earlier 87.7%)
- Elementary Level- 97.8% (earlier 96.1%)
- Secondary Level – 77.9% (earlier 76.9%)
- Higher Secondary Level- 51.4% (earlier 50.1%)
Earlier = 2018-19 data
- In 2019-20, 96.87 lakh teachers have been engaged in school education.
- This is higher by about 2.57 lakh compared to 2018-19.
|Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR)
||PTR has improved at all levels of school education.
- PTR for primary is 26.5 (earlier 2012-13)
- PTR for upper primary is 18.5 (earlier 2012-13)
- PTR for secondary is 18.5 (earlier 2012-13)
- PTR for higher secondary is 26.1 (earlier 39.2)
Earlier = 2012-13 data
|Enrolment of girls
- In 2019-20, enrolment of girls from primary to higher secondary is more than 12.08 crore. This is an increase by 14.08 lakh compared to 2018-19.
GER of girls in 2019-20 at
- Upper Primary level is 90.5% (from 88.5%),
- Elementary Level in 98.7% (from 96.7%)
- Secondary Level 77.8% (from 76.9%)
- Higher Secondary Level is 52.4% (from 50.8%)
- Enrolment of Divyang students has increased by 6.52% over 2018-19.
- Between 2012-13 and 2019-20, the Gender Parity Index (GPI) at both Secondary and Higher Secondary levels have improved
- More than 80% (schools in India in 2019-20 had functional electricity (73% in 2018-19)
- Number of schools having functional computers increased to 5.2 lakh in 2019-20 from 4.7 lakh in 2018-19.
- Number of schools having internet facility increased to 3.36 lakh in 2019-20 from 2.9 lakh in 2018-19.
- More than 90% schools in India had handwash facility in 2019-20 (only 36.3% in 2012-13)
- More than 84% schools in India had a library/reading room/ reading corner in 2019-20, an improvement of nearly 4% compared to the previous year
What are Some Important Government Initiatives for promoting Education?