NCRB report on crime
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Laws and Policies
Context National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) report on Crime in India was recently launched.
Key findings of the report
- The Coronavirus pandemic and subsequent lockdown resulted in a drop in traditional crimes like theft, robbery, and assault on women and children in 2020.
- There was a 28% increase in the registration of cases in 2020 in the country compared to 2019, primarily owing to the violation of COVID-19 norms.
- An almost 21-fold jump was recorded in cases of disobedience to the order duly promulgated by public servants.
- Crimes against Scheduled Castes showed an increase of 9.4%.
- offences against the Scheduled Tribe communities showed an increase of 9.3% over 2019
What is The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)?
- Headquarter: New Delhi
- Set-up: 1986
- Ministry: Ministry of Home Affairs
- Objective: To function as a repository of information on crime and criminals so as to assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
- It was set up based on the recommendations of the National Police Commission (1977-1981) and the MHA’s Task Force (1985).
News Source: TH