In News: Thousands of migratory birds reach the sanctuary every year for nesting.
- The Atapaka Bird Sanctuary at Kolleru Lake has become a safe breeding ground for many migratory species namely Grey Pelicans and Painted Storks
- Grey Pelican and Painted Stork both are near threatened species under IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Kolleru Lake is located between the deltas of the Krishna and Godavari rivers in Andhra Pradesh.
- It is an important habitat for an estimated 20 million residents and migratory birds like Grey or Spot-billed pelicans.
- It was notified as a Wildlife Sanctuary in 1999 under India’s Wild Life Protection Act, 1972.
- It was declared a wetland of international importance in 2002 under Ramsar convention.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) In which one of the following states is Pakhui Wildlife Sanctuary located? (2018)
- Arunachal Pradesh