In News: Prime Minister of India will inaugurate the redeveloped Kalika Mata temple atop the Pavagadh hill in Panchmahal district, Gujarat
- The 11th-century temple complex, housing a dargah, is an example of harmony of faiths
- For the first time, the temple will have a shikhara (superstructure and spire) where earlier stood the Hazrat Sadanshah Wali Peer dargah that was relocated to a space next to it in an amicable settlement during redevelopment.
Kalika Mata Temple
- Kalika Mata Temple is a Hindu goddess temple complex and pilgrim centre at the summit of Pavagadh Hill in Panchmahal District, India, with in the Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park.
- It dates from the 10th or 11th centuries.
- The temple is the site of one of the Great holy Shakti Peethas.
- The temple complex is part of the Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- It is believed that in the 15th century, Sultan Mahmud Begda conquered Champaner where he set up his capital and destroyed the shikhara of the temple
- Lore goes that Sadanshah Peer, originally a Hindu Fakir, who embraced Islam to be part of Mahmud Begda’s court played a key role in saving the temple from being destroyed.
- The Sadanshah Peer dargah is believed to have been built around that time.
Source: Indian Express
Previous year Questions
Q.1) With reference to Chausath Yogini Temple situated near Morena, consider the following statements: (2021)
- It is a circular temple built during the reign of Kachchhapaghata Dynasty.
- It is the only circular temple built in India.
- It was meant to promote the Vaishnava cult in the region.
- Its design has given rise to a popular belief that it was the inspiration behind the Indian Parliament building.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- 1 and 2
- 2 and 3 Only
- 1 and 4
- 2, 3 and 4