In News: China and Pakistan had held a meeting to bring other countries into the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
- India said that efforts to broaden CPEC’s scope are “inherently illegal” as it directly infringe on India’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- A bilateral project between Pakistan and China.
- Intended to promote connectivity across Pakistan with a network of highways, railways, and pipelines accompanied by energy, industrial, and other infrastructure development projects.
- Aims to link the Western part of China (Xinjiang province) to the Gwadar Port in Balochistan, Pakistan via Khunjerab Pass in the Northern Parts of Pakistan.
- It will pave the way for China to access the Middle East and Africa from Gwadar Port, enabling China to access the Indian Ocean.
- India has been severely critical of the CPEC, as it passes through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, which is a disputed territory between India and Pakistan.
Source: The Hindu