In News: Some states of USA were hit by a storm system called a derecho.
- As the storm hit, it turned the skies green.
What is a derecho?
- A derecho, according to the US’s National Weather Service is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm that is associated with a band of rapidly moving showers or thunderstorms.
- The name comes from the Spanish word ‘la derecha’ which means ‘straight’.
- Straight-line storms are those in which thunderstorm winds have no rotation unlike a tornado. These storms travel hundreds of miles and cover a vast area.
- Being a warm-weather phenomenon, a derecho generally – not always – occurs during summertime beginning May, with most hitting in June and July.
- They are a rare occurrence as compared to other storm systems like tornadoes or hurricanes.
- For a storm to be classified as a derecho it must have wind gusts of at least 93 km per hour; wind damage swath extending more than 400 km.
Why did the sky turn green during the derecho that hit US recently?
- Severe thunderstorms result in a ‘green sky’ due to light interacting with the huge amount of water they hold.
- It is believed that the big raindrops and hail scatter away all but the blue wavelengths due to which primarily blue light penetrates below the storm cloud.
- This blue then combines with the red-yellow of the afternoon or the evening sun to produce green.
Different types of derechos
- They fall into three categories – progressive, serial and hybrid.
- A progressive derecho is associated with a short line of thunderstorms that may travel for hundreds of miles along a relatively narrow path. It is a summer phenomenon.
- A serial derecho has an extensive squall line – wide and long – sweeping across a large area. It usually occurs during spring or fall.
- Hybrid ones have the features of both progressive and serial derechos.
Where do derechos usually occur?
- They mostly occur across central and eastern parts of the United States.
- Derechos have also been documented elsewhere across the world. In 2010, Russia witnessed its first documented derecho. They have also swept through Germany and Finland, and more recently in Bulgaria and Poland.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Consider the following statements: (2020)
- Jet streams occur in the Northern Hemisphere only.
- Only some cyclones develop an eye.
- The temperature inside the eye of a cyclone is nearly 10°C lesser than that of the surroundings.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 1 and 3 only