In News: Union Law Minister tabled data on pendency of cases in High Court and number of female judges in Judiciary in a reply to question in Rajya Sabha.
Pendency of cases
- Over 59 lakh cases were pending in the High Courts until July 22.
- Allahabad High Court has the highest number of pending cases at over 10 lakh.
- Next are the High Courts of Rajasthan (just over 6 lakh) and Bombay (just under 6 lakh).
- The 4 women judges in the Supreme Court are against a sanctioned strength of 34 judges, and the 96 women judges in the High Courts are against a sanctioned strength of 1,108 judges.
- Out of the 96 women judges in the High Courts, Delhi and Madras HCs between them account for one-fourth, at 12 women judges each.
Must Read: Judicial Accountability
Source: Indian Express