Context: Nearly 100 people have been killed and scores injured in violent border clashes between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
- The borders of the two republics were demarcated under Joseph Stalin’s leadership.
- Historically, the Kyrgyz and Tajik populations enjoyed common rights over natural resources.
- Ferghana valley continues to be a site of struggle and frequent violent outbursts, with the location consisting primarily of Tajiks, Kyrgyz, and Uzbeks, who have historically shared common sociological specificities, economic activities, and religious practices.
- This ‘development project’ resulted in the large-scale displacement of nomadic communities, eventually contributing to the ‘environment driver’ of the current conflict.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
Region often mentioned in the news: Country
- Anatolia Turkey
- Amhara Ethiopia
- Cabo Delgado Spain
- Catalonia Italy
How many pairs given above are correctly matched? (2022)
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs
Q.2) Which one of the lakes of West Africa has become dry and turned into a desert? (2022)
- Lake Victoria
- Lake Faguibine
- Lake Oguta
- Lake Volta
Q.3) The term “Levant” often heard in the news roughly corresponds to which of the following regions? (2022)
- Region along the eastern Mediterranean shores
- Region along North African shores stretching from Egypt to Morocco
- Region along Persian Gulf and Horn of Africa
- The entire coastal Mediterranean Sea of areas
Q.4) Consider the following countries:
Which of the above have borders with Afghanistan? (2022)
- 1, 2 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4 only
- 3, 4 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5