Science and Technology
Context: Recently, the US President announced that he would send M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine.
About M1 Abrams:
- The M1 Abrams main battle tank was developed by Chrysler Defence.
- Production of the M1 started in 1980 and ceased in 1992.
- This MBT was named in honour to the General Abrams, commander of US forces during Vietnam War.
- The M1 Abrams MBT replaced the M60 Patton in service with US Army.
- The M1 is informally known as “The Beast,” “Dracula” and “Whispering Death,” referring to its impressive firepower and quiet operation.
- The M1 Abrams has a modern fire control system with a high first hit probability.
- It can destroy tank-size targets at a range of 2 km while firing on the move.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) What is “Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD)”, sometimes seen in the news? (2018)
- An Israeli radar system
- India’s indigenous anti-missile programme
- An American anti-missile system
- A defence collaboration between Japan and South Korea
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…