In News: Archaeological Survey of India, ASI is all set to begin excavation at Delhi’s Purana Qila again – third time after excavations in the year 2013-14 and 2017-18.
- For the exposure and preservation of the trenches that were excavated in previous years.
- Evidence of layers predating the Mauryan period was found.
- Located in South Eastern part of New Delhi
- Purana Qilla, the 16th-century fort, was built by Sher Shah Suri and second Mughal emperor Humayun. The fort is standing on a site with thousands of years of history.
- Identified as ancient settlement of Indraprastha, a continuous habitation of 2500 years at Purana Qila was established in earlier excavations.
- Painted grey ware, belonging to 900 BC, an earthen pottery sequence from Maurya to Shunga, Kushana, Gupta, Rajput, Sultanates, and Mughal periods.
- Excavated Artefacts such as sickles, parers, terracotta toys, kiln-burnt bricks, beads, terracotta figurines, seals and dealings excavated.
- Historian Alexander Cunningham identified the fort with that of Indraprastha
- A fortification wall about 30 metre long was also found.
- Three arched gateways: the Bara Darwaza (Big Gate) facing west, which is still in use today; the south gate, also popularly known as the ‘Humayun Gate’ and lastly, the ‘Talaqi Gate’, often known as the “forbidden gate”.
- All the gates are double-storeyed sandstone structures flanked by two huge semi-circular bastion towers, decorated with white and coloured-marble inlays and blue tiles.
- They are replete with detailing, including ornate overhanging balconies, or jharokhas, and are topped by pillared pavilions (chhatris), all features that are reminiscent of Rajasthani architecture as seen in the North and South Gates, and which were amply repeated in future Mughal architecture.
- It also has Qila-i Kuhna Mosque and the Shermandal, both credited to Sher Shah
Previous Year Question
Q1) Consider the following pairs: (2021)
(Historical Place) (Well-known for)
- Burzahom : Rock-cut shrines
- Chandra-Ketugarh : Terracotta art
- Ganeshwar : Copper artefacts
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched?
- 1 only
- 1 and 2
- 3 only
- 2 and 3