Medical Devices Notified as Drugs
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- With effect from 1st April, 2020, all Medical Devices shall be regulated by the Government as Drugs for quality control and price monitoring.
- The Maximum Retail Prices (MPRs) of all the Medical Devices would be monitored by the Government under the provisions of Para 20(1) of the Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 2013.
- This will ensure that no manufacturer/importer increases the MRP of a drug more than 10% of MRP during preceding 12 months, failing which penalty shall be imposed.
Important value additions:
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Policy (NPPP) – governs price control.
- Drug Price Control Orders (DPCO) – enforces price control.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) – monitors and controls drug prices.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Policy-2012 – places a regulatory framework for pricing of drugs.
Azithromycin -Hydroxychloroquine Combination
- The Union Health Ministry has allowed the use of Hydroxychloroquine in combination with Azithromycin under severe conditions.
- The earlier guidelines which included use of Anti-HIV drugs Ritonavir-Lopinavir in high risk patients, now stand repealed.
- Azithromycin is commonly used as an antibiotic.
- Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is used in treatment of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. It is also used in treating malaria.
- The azithromycin-hydroxychloroquine combination is part of an upcoming multi-country trial anchored by the World Health Organization to against COVID-19.
- Natuna Islands are within Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone but are also claimed by China.
- Recently, China has sparked a major maritime confrontation with Indonesia near the South China Sea by entering waters along with dozens of Chinese fishing vessels.
Image source: Click here
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :