FASTags mandatory for all four wheelers
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued a notification making FASTags mandatory for all four wheel vehicles from 1st January 2021.
- This will apply to old vehicles as well as M and N category of motor vehicles sold before 1st December, 2017.
- As per Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, the FASTag had been made mandatory for all registration of new four wheeled Vehicles since 1st December 2017.
- Itis being supplied by the Vehicle Manufacturer or their dealers.
- It had further been mandated that the renewal of fitness certificate will be done only after the fitment of FASTag for the Transport Vehicles.
- For National Permit Vehicles the fitment of FASTag has been mandated since 1st of October, 2019.
- The Ministry said that a valid FASTag is also mandatory while getting a new third Party Insurance through an amendment in certificate of Insurance, wherein the details of FASTag ID will be captured.
- This will be applicable with effect from 1st of April 2021.
- This notification would be a major step for ensuring that the payment of fees be 100% at Toll Plazas through the Electronic Means only and that the vehicles pass seamlessly through the Fee Plazas.
Important value additions
- FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India
- Operated by: National Highway Authority of India.
- It employs Radio Frequency Identification technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it or directly toll owner.