Part of: Prelims and GS III – Sci and tech
Context Recently, US Pharma Giant Pfizer has received USFDA emergency use authorization for its Covid-19 antiviral treatment Paxlovid.
- The drug, Paxlovid, is a faster way to treat early COVID-19 infections, though initial supplies will be extremely limited.
- It is an antiviral Covid-19 treatment candidate, which is administered in combination with low dose HIV medicine ritonavir.
- Paxlovid can be used to treat adults with Covid-19 who do not require supplemental oxygen and who are at increased risk of progressing to severe disease.
- Under the deal, it signed a voluntary license agreement for Covid-19 oral antiviral treatment candidate Paxlovid.
- The production and distribution of Paxlovid shall also be facilitated by granting sub-licenses to qualified generic medicine manufacturers.