Indian Pharmacopoeia (IP)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Health
- Afghanistan has become the first country to formally recognize Indian Pharmacopoeia (IP).
- As per the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940, IP is designated as the official book of standards for drugs imported and/or manufactured for sale, stock or exhibition for sale or distribution in India.
- The IP specifies the standards of drugs manufactured and marketed in India in terms of their identity, purity and strength.
About Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC)
- It is an autonomous institution of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare which sets standards (in form of IP) for all drugs that are manufactured, sold and consumed in India.
- The IP Commission’s mission is to promote public and animal health in India by bringing out authoritative and officially accepted standards for quality of drugs including active pharmaceutical ingredients, excipients and dosage forms, used by health professionals, patients and consumers
- The Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, is the Chairperson and the Chairman-Scientific Body is the Co-Chairman of the Commission