Meeting of G-20 Agriculture Ministers
Part of: GS-Prelims
Context: Agriculture is contributing to the three biggest challenges of the 21st century – achieving food security, adapting to climate change and mitigating climate change. Important resources like water, energy and land are depleting rapidly. There is a need for sustainability in agriculture along with increasing production and income simultaneously, adapting to climate change by balancing crop, livestock, fisheries and agroforestry systems, increasing resource efficiency, protecting the environment and maintaining ecosystem services.
- Has played an important role in tackling the problem of food security, improving the income of farmers and agriculturists and sustainable use of natural resources for the subsistence of the people.
- Research contributes significantly to the three aspects of food security – availability, access and affordability.
- Integrated research efforts can develop a package of techniques and methodologies for improving soil productivity, water management for storage, expansion and efficiency.
Efforts by India
- United Nations has accepted the proposal of the Government of India and declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana, the government is providing income support of Rs.6,000 per year to small farmers. So far, Rs 1.58 lakh crore has been deposited in the bank accounts of more than 11.37 crore farmers under this scheme.
- The ‘Per Drop- More Crop’ scheme for irrigation and ‘Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana‘ for organic farming is being successfully implemented.
- Implemented the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana to provide insurance cover for the farmers.
- Oilseeds Technology Mission doubled the production of oilseeds in 10 years.
- India has made great progress in pulses production in recent times due to the introduction of new varieties in the seed system.
- Developed and released 17 varieties of different crops which are resistant to biotic and abiotic stresses.
- Developing bio-fortified varieties to meet the nutritional requirement of the people.
- National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture has been launched which promotes integrated farming systems approach in agriculture.
Presidency of G20: Italy
News Source: PIB